Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Girl Named "Patches" Part 32

Glen and I got back to Ohio after a very very long bus ride.  And as planned within two weeks I met Cliff in the park. The county park had a wishing well and together we through in a penny and made our wish. A wish that things would finally get better and work out for us. We hugged and was so happy to be together again. We knew we had a lot of work to do as we were still at the bottom. No car, no job, no home...nothing. But this time it seemed we had a stronger will to help us get through. 

Glenn would stay with his grandma where he would be housed and clothed and I knew she loved him. The alternative was homeless and hungry. Really, is that really a choice? It wasn't for me. I had no doubt she loved him with all her heart. In fact perhaps to much so. She would develop a love for her grandson that would eventually become her life. She lived for him.  

Cliff and I would take to the streets. Sleeping on porches, under bridges or when really lucky on somebody's couch. We walked factory to factory applying for a job. My thought to solve all the other problems was money and a job seemed to be the solution.  

It seemed so simple. But, as we split up during some days I would discover that Cliff was back at the coffee shop. I would then discover he wasn't filling out any applications and that he could not read or write. So I began filling the applications out for him and all he had to do was sign it, well, his signature may as well been marked with an "X".... at least it would have been readable.  I wondered just how serious he was in working.  

It would be another week or so and I got my job back at the box factory.  I knew I would need a car though to get there to keep the job so with my first check I bought a car for $100.00. This car was a real treat. Honestly, I loved it ! I had to put oil, water and transmission fluid in it every time I drove it. It had a home made fender made of duck tape I think and it really was a help with speeding. I could not get over 35 miles an hour without the entire front end shaking.  Wow I loved this car !! The color was another great additive. It was a bright blue like turquoise.  LOL..... Couldn't miss me, nope !! As funky as this car was it was doing it's job. Getting me to and from work and I was learning how to drive. My new plan was to work a few more weeks and upgrade to a $300 or $400 dollar car. I know, I know, dreams of grandeur eh??? Well, I had to have them.  Mmmmmmmm..... what a car !! I named her Bertha.  


Love "Patches"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but
after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
Regardless, just wanted to say superb blog!



Also visit my blog druk PIT-37